St. Catherine School

St. Catherine School was built in 1946 and blessed on February 15, 1947 by Pastor Fr. Joseph G. Callaghan, SM.  Classes in first through fourth grades began in the nearly completed school in September, 1947, staffed by the Sisters of the Society of the Blessed Virgin Mary, (BVM) with a principal and teachers.  Each year another grade was added to the offerings until the school served kindergarten through 8th grades with lay staff as well as religious.

In May of 1969 and due to declining vocations in the BVM order, they could no longer staff the school.  At that time the Congregation of the Dominican Sisters of the Most Holy Rosary (Dominicans) from the Philippines assumed responsibility for St. Catherine School.

In the 1970s parents and parishioners volunteered their time to upgrade the campus with a library near the school office, playground equipment, and a parish hall which serves as our cafeteria and assembly hall.  It was later named Coyle Hall in honor of Fr. Patrick Coyle, SM. who served as pastor of St. Catherine Parish. He recently celebrated his 99th birthday.

The school sustained severe damage in Hurricane Iniki in 1992 including destruction of the library.  The reconstruction included classroom and office renovations, a new library (extension and remodeling of an existing building), a computer lab and Early Learning Center, housing kindergarten and preschool.

Lay teachers continued to work alongside the sisters until June 2000, when the Dominicans needed to consolidate their community.  Since then, the school has been staffed entirely by lay teachers who continue the tradition of excellence in Catholic education as first envisioned by Fr. Callaghan, SM.




5021-A Kawaihau Rd.

Kapaa, Hawaii 96746

Phone Number:

(808) 822-4212

School Website:


Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!